Monday Mix Up #8 w/ Shockone

Interview: Kid's Table


DJ Name: Shockone
Label: Viper Recordings
Years in industry: 10ish 
Favourite catch phrase:  Never have a plan B in life, if you do you will always end up living it. Also 'Talking about music is like dancing to architecture' - Frank Zappa

KT: For everyone out there looking to get into deejayin'; how did you first start and what was your 'big break'?

I made music first. I never intended on being a DJ and was only asked to DJ once my first single came out on Shogun audion. I guess if anyone was serious about making a career out of dance music that is what I would suggest. It's a producer's market these days, gone are the days of the 'superstar' DJ. There are a million dudes out there with decks, so it's near impossible to stand out from a crown if you are solely a DJ in my opinion. Making music is a lot harder and a much steeper learning curve than DJing but it will make people notice you a lot quicker than DJing. 

KT: What advice can you give to any aspiring deejays out there that want to make their hobby into a career?

On top of what I just wrote above, I think with the music industry in general, perseverance and determination are important. Hence my favourite saying at the top. No matter how hungry for success you think you are, there is someone else hungrier and willing to work just as hard or harder than you to get it. That's why you can't have a back up option for your life in case 'the music thing doesn't work out', if you do you will end up doing your back up option when you when you've been writing tunes for 5 years and nobody knows who you are and you can't pay your rent and your girlfriend is sick of you being a broke-ass mofo and you feel like the whole world is telling you to 'get a real job' and give up on it all, that's when you will fall back on whatever it is you had that you would do if it all doesn't work out. If you don't have that plan B you have no choice but to keep pushing on and get better at your art. I realised early on that I wanted to make music for the rest of my life whether I was broke or successful or what ever. When you realise that the question 'whether you'll ever make it' becomes null and void. 

KT: What has been your favourite gig/venue to play at and why?

Shape nightclub in Perth. It's my home club and always will be. Like a massive rave with all my best friends every time. 

KT: Who has been the biggest influence in your career so far?

My parents, I have them to thank for the music in my life. Also Phetsta, we've helped each other develop as artists so much over the past few years, we are like band mates of a band that doesn't really exist. 

KT: What projects are you working on at the moment?

My debut album due out early 2012 is what my brain is consumed with at the moment.

KT: For anyone who hasn't caught you live yet; what can they expect to see?

A mentalist making a fool of himself.

KT: What's the first song that pops into your head when you think 'Getting Tropical' and why?

At the Copa (CO!, Copacabana (Copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana 
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa... they fell in love

Because Barry Manilow is the man. 

Gig Dates:

Dubstep Invasion 2 Tour
August 25th - La La Land, Byron Bay
September 2nd - King St Hotel, Newcastle
September 9th - Chinese Laundry, Sydney
September 10th - HQ, Adelaide
September 16th - Academy Bar, Canberra
September 17th - Bounce @ Woodport Inn, Gosford


& keep up to date with all things tropical!

Interview: Kid's Table

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast