Monday Mix Up #23 w/ Stevie Mink

Interview: Kid's Table







DJ Name: Stevie Mink

Label: CR2 (UK), Boo Records, Suckmusic, Say Wat
Residencies: Orange Whip, Wah Wah, Tramp
Years in industry: 3
Favourite Catchphrase: We Don't Bullshit

KT: For everyone out there looking to get into deejayin'; how did you first start and what was your 'big break'?

1st big break was doing a remix for T-Rek on his no.1 Aria Club hit 'Out My Bitch'. Started in my late years in high school collecting records (in its last year) played around on my pc with some software and learnt the ropes.

KT: What advice can you give to any aspiring deejays out there that want to make their hobby into a career?

Be good with computers. It's a fast pace age where now a DJ is required to be like a band where you have to have either your own songs/remixes or bootlegs. With blogs and soundclouds and social media the main thing these days. You don't need to be signed for your music to be heard. Which helps.

KT: What has been your favourite gig/venue to play at and why?

It's a tuff questions. I guess every DJ gauges it on the vibe when they play. I have a lot of favourites. But my most recent was at code in New Zealand with buddy DJ/producer Katt Niall. Not knowing what to expect as it was my first gig there. I was playing music I never played before and it was going nuts and the best part was that no one knew who we were.

KT: Who has been the biggest influence in your career so far?

Another tuff one. I have a lot. Probably Deadmau5. I loved how he opened up his set up to the whole world. I really picked up some tips from him. He is the best sounding dance artist of all time and I believe a lot of people learnt a lot of stuff from his music.

KT: What projects are you working on at the moment?

Just finished a couple of remixes which are just coming out now. I am back in the studio working on some originals with Katt Niall and a couple of other collaborations. Hopefully to have a few ready for the next summer.

KT: For anyone who hasn't caught you live yet; what can they expect to see?

A big mash of genres, quick pace, party vibe in the club.

KT: What's the first song that pops into your head when you think 'Getting Tropical' and why?

Rihanna & Calvin Harris - We Found Love. Very summery song. 



& keep up to date with all things tropical!
Interview: Kid's Table

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast