Babe Deejays that can.. wait for it.. DEEJAY!

Guest Writer: Dom Spiller



Okay look, I respect you all too much to lie straight to your faces, I DID have an article already prepared and written up that was choc full of all the ridiculous tangents and horrific puns that you will all soon grow to know and hate, but last night at the hands of the Triple J Mix Up, I experienced something special, Something utterly remarkable, that has led me to grow, and perhaps even mature as a human being. Introducing MayaVanya.

MAYAVANYA -It Began In Africa Project by MayaVanya

I’m a self professed sceptic, and since my earliest introduction to the female DJ was at the claws of ‘DJ’ Havana Brown, I feel that scepticism is justified. So when I heard that Croatian born (New Zealand raised) sister duo Maya and Vanya Milinović (known as MayaVanya) were coming up with their mixtape contribution to the show, of course I was worried. Wouldn’t you be? Any other sexist pigs in the house? No? okay, moving on..

But in all seriousness, all jokes aside, since taking out the DJ Search competition put on by none other than the folks at Beatport, Pioneer DJ and DJ Mag, the girls haven’t taken a backward step. Infusing their passion for tribal/tropical based tunes into their personal style and the music they create, MayaVanya Have been making their presence felt all over the world, whether it be rocking festivals that I can’t even afford to attend, or pumping out remixes, bootlegs and original productions that leave me feeling completely disgusted at my own attempts at musical.. birth?
With one look at the tracklist for their Triple J mix I was sold. Throwing around household names such as Munchi, Heartbreak, Canblaster and many, many more, the girls dropped a set that was as smooth as it was unique, and within minutes I’d already downloaded everything I could off their soundcloud. I strongly suggest you all check out MayaVanya for yourselves. If you like them, GREAT, and if you don’t like them, I dunno. Maybe I’m just a sucker for a pretty face.

(None of my personal views on women were expressed in the course of this blogpost. Sorry Mum.)

Guest Writer: Dom Spiller

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast