Monday Mix Up #28 w/ Jump Street



KT: First Up; what's your DJ name and how did you get/choose it?

After a few name changes I finally landed on ‘Jump Street’ (long before the recent movie release or that club night was coined haha). I picked it  from a list of 80’s tv shows I found on the internet. Not wanting anything super serious, I figured the term Jump was somewhat relatable to the dance scene. 


KT: How did you come to start DJing?

I’ve always been interested in music and production, having played guitar and piano when I was a kiddy. My love for electronic dance music probably came about after an exchange trip to France in year 10 where I was introduced to a lot of ‘Ed Banger’ label type stuff. Watching Justice’s documentary ‘A Cross The Universe’, kindly lent to me by Alex Helmer, sealed the deal! I started making crappy playlists for parties, eventually progressing to djing a slewth of 18ths and 21sts before progressing to my first Club gig in June 2011. 


KT: What can people expect to hear from one of your sets?

Fake Chow last week was off the chain! I had a lot of fun ^^. I also played a handful of sets down the Surfcoast for Schoolies which were definitely well received.  


KT: What can people expect to hear from from one of your sets?


I’m all about the fun and quircky and love to cross between House, Deep House, Tech & Bass. I tried to make a varied mixtape to depict this. 


KT: Who's your favourite DJ/Producer at the moment?

It’s almost impossible to narrow it down. I’m a sucker for anything from labels such as No Brainer, Mad Decent, Top Billin, Sweat It Out! & Bromance. With such solid material coming out, often from relatively unkown guys and gals all the time!
However…

Australia: What So Not, They have been absolutely killing it!

International: Savage Skulls, They always have something released I can use.


KT: What's the first song that pops into your head when you think 'Getting Tropical' and why?

Carte Blanche: With You; they are some damn tropical drums at the intro!


KT: What plans do you have for Jump Street in the future?

I’ve started on some serious production work, which I hope to improve on in between my aviation course. There are a few originals at various stages of completion and the plan is to have an EP ready by the end of the year. I’m eager to bang out a few more remixes over the uni break and am looking forward to more gigs and perhaps making an effort towards getting booked! 


KT: What's your favourite memory of a live gig you've seen?

Danger at the Hi Fi last year.


KT: To all the promoters out there; why should they book you?


My gigs are eclectic and fun, I never play the same set twice and my past experience with all styles of venue means I can aurally please any punter. Don’t like playing songs for ages either, which keeps things interesting.


Booking details:

Name(s): Jesse Chapotet
Looking for gigs in: Geelong & Melbourne
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/jump-street

Getting Tropical: Monday Mix Up Exclusive by Jump Street


& keep up to date with all things tropical!

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast