Monday Mix Up #2 w/ 1928 (Bush Records, STROBE)

Interview: Kid's Table


DJ Name: 1928
Label: Bush Records
Residencies: STROBE, Love Story, Saturdays @ Eurotrash
Years in the industry: 10+
Soundcloud: [click here]
Favourite catch phrase: Jameson & soda please. 

KT: For everyone out there looking to get into deejayin'; how did you first start and what was your 'big break'?

1928: I started back in the days of vinyl. In the Techno scene it was hard to get gigs because everyone who played out was technically awesome and promoters wouldn't take anyone serious that couldn't mix super tight. So I literally practised everyday for two years before even giving a promoter a mix tape. It paid off because I got my first gig straight away and got bookings off the back of that one when promoters saw I did a good job live. From there it was playing out as much as possible and being asked to play bigger and bigger events.

KT: What advice can you give to aspiring deejays out there that want to make their hobby into a career?

1928: First up, practice. Recording shit loads of live mix tapes in the beginning is great too - you'll listen to them over and over and see where you can improve. Being able to create and keep a dance floor for an entire set is where it's at, so it helps if you've got great flow - your song selection and mixing have got to be good. If you want to get anywhere as a DJ locally you've got to play to the crowd, pay attention to reactions from track to track. Hitting clubs thinking you can play whatever you want usually leads to cleared dance floors. I'm also a promoter at the moment and I definitely don't like to see this happen.. Also I get a lot of mix tapes and I like to hear how people mix live so I don't listen to Ableton mixes - I can't speak for other promoters. I like to be sent everything up front - mix tape, tracklist, bio, links. Send a mix tape that's relevant to the promoters night.

KT: What had been your favourite gig/venue to play at and why?

1928: I got to support Carl Cox recently which was huge for me, he's a long time hero. I warmed up for Breakbot at Summadayze this year which was also another highlight. Closing for MSTRKRFT at Creamfields 2010 was awesome.

KT: Who has been the biggest influence in your career so far?

1928: In terms of DJing definitely Jeff Mills. Technically brilliant, unique, with creative mixing and amazing flow. In terms of production I'm really inspired by too many acts to name, from all kinds of genre's.

KT: What projects are you working on at the moment?

1928: I've just finished my second EP which has just been released on Bush Records. I'm working on new 1928 tracks that will be out around September, and also on a side project under an alias that's a completely different sound. I've also recently mix engineered a local rappers mix tape, MC Mose. Sleeves and I are working on our next STROBE show with DJ Funk which is really exciting! Huge fan, dude is wild.

KT: For anyone who hasn't caught you live yet; what can they expect to see?

1928: Hopefully hands in the air. Depending on where I'm playing I play a little different, sometimes heavier club stuff and sometimes more party vibe. Often a bit of both.

KT: What's the first song that pops into your head when you think 'Getting Tropical' and why?

1928: Not sure but a picture just popped into my head of me sitting on a beach in the Caribbean drinking a cocktail listening to a Tranter mix tape.

Gig Dates:

Thursdays @ Love Story
Saturdays @ Eurotrash
A few other events coming up TBC.
STROBE: DJ Funk (Chicago/Ed Banger) - Friday September 16th at Billboard
Summadayze 2012


1928 - Getting Tropical Showtime Guest Mix 
Recorded live at Eurotrash, Melbourne on CDJs

Getting Tropical Showtime Guest Mix - 1928 by Getting Tropical

Track List
1. Tokyo - 1928
2. ZZafrika (Light Year & The Finger Prince Remix) - ZZT
3. Where Them Girls At (Sidney Samson Remix) - David Guetta
4. Cal State Anthem (Cold Blank Mix - 1928 Edit) - PanceTreaty
5. Get The Funk (1928 Edit) - DJ Tonio
6. Purtataaa - Afrojack & R3hab
7. Hands Up - 1928
8. Rave! (1928 Edit) - Aspin & Dipace
9. Muss Muss vs. Bang Bang (Jan Hartwig Mash Up) - Bassjackers vs. La Fuente
10. Metrum - Fedde Le Grand
11. The Bottle Song - R3hab
12. Cool (Extended Edit) - Roodmusic
13. Forklift - Joey Beltram
14. Homesick (Hijack Remix) - Kissy Sell Out & Oh Snap!!

Pump Up The Jam (1928 Boom Box Remix) - Technotronic
BONUS download! (Mediafire) 

Don't forget to head over to the Getting Tropical Facebook 
--> click 'Like' 
-->TAG yourself in the COMPETITION PHOTOS 
--> WIN DOUBLE PASSES to selected events!

Interview: Kid's Table

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast