Monday Mix Up #12 w/ Totem

Interview: Kid's Table


KT: How did you come to start DJing?

Started deejaying around 4 years ago when a slot cam up Wednesday/Friday nights at the Bridge Hotel. I've slowly manifested my love for music into a position where I'm able to play the stuff I dig for people.

KT: What has been your favourite gig so far?

Easily Yolanda Be Cool playing at the Bridge Hotel. It was such a raucous free for all night that ended in absolute chaos.

KT: What can people expect to hear from one of your sets?

Anything and everything. I have tried to stick to some sort of set plan in the past when playing for certain crowds but I always end up just pulling CD's out of my waller and playing what I feel. To be honest, a lot of the time I don't even know what's going to happen when I play.

KT: Who's your favourite DJ/producer at the moment?

So much good music getting around at the moment! Definitely a lot of the stuff coming out of Bristol such as Waifs & Strays, Eats Everything, Coat of Arms and Julio Bashmore. Also anything released by Marble music, I have a real affinity for the French future bass sound.

KT: What's the first song that pops into your head when you think 'Getting Tropical' and why?

Definitely Douster's remix of Yolanda Be Cool's 'Afro Nuts'.

KT: If you had one special power what would it be and why?

The ability to bend time!

KT: What plans do you have for Totem in the future?

To keep on producing and playing until I have to some day grow up. Currently readying several originals and a couple of remixes that I hope to be uploading in the near future. Begin to push further into Melbourne for regular gigs.

KT: What's your favourite memory of a live gig you've seen?

1. Tiefschwarz 6 hour set - Watergate, Berlin. Most attention-grabbing set I've witnessed. Tiefschwarz played after Rampa & Re.You from 6am through to 12pm and it was absolutely relentless. So impressive.

2. Wolf & Lamb vs. Soul Clap playing all night at Trouw nightclub Amsterdam queens day festival weekend. So impressive and completely changed my opinion of sub 120bpm dance music.

3. Eric Prydz (playing after Don Diablo & Michael Woods) in a random high school gym in Budapest, Hungary.

KT: To all the promoters out there; why should they book you?

I feel as through I can play to most crowds quiet well, and am quite adaptable. I always have fun, and am at home on a packed dance floor early in the morning!

Booking details:

Name: Totem (Brenton Smith)
Contact: smith1brenton@gmail.com
Looking for gigs in: Melbourne area
Links: soundcloud.com/totem111
Track listing:

1. Close To Everything (Remixed In Ibiza) - Mickey Moonlight
2. Cherry (Original Mix) - Tim Green
3. Yeah Yeah (Original Mix) - Waifs & Strays
4. Entrance Song (Original Mix) - Eats Everything
5. Burning (Round Table Knights Remix) - MK
6. Say What? (Original Mix) - Jamie Jones
7. Into The Wild (Peter Horrevorts Kangaroo Tool) - JML
8. Creeper (Waifs & Strays Remix) - Deepgroove
9. This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads

& keep up to date with all things tropical!

Interview: Kid's Table

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast