Monday Mix Up #3 w/ Tricky Dick

Interview: Kid's Table



KT: First up; What's your DJ name and how did you get/choose it?

Tricky Dick: Tricky Dick, I may or may not have done a very convincing impersonation of Richard Nixon in front of one of the promotors that books me, and next thing I knew, I was billed as Tricky Dick. I wasn't arguing haha.

KT: How did you come to working together/start deejayin'?

Tricky Dick: When I was about 16 I was listening to alot of dance stuff, when electro was big, and pretty much fell in love! Used to cruise around in my 1989 Ford Meteor pumping "Its True" by Axwell & Sebastian Ingrosso Vs Salem Al Fakir. Then one day I heard about "Virtual DJ" and downloaded that. I had no idea what I was doing.. haha. Eventually played a few parties around my home town Portland, then moved to Geelong where I begged my dad to buy me decks and set up base! The rest as they say, is history! 

KT: What has been your favourite gig so far? 

Tricky Dick: This is a hard one because there have been so many! Yolanda Be Cool at Blue Martini was a big one, a couple of sets at the Barking Dog for Knock Knock especially the Mowgli support with Josh Symons. The Monkey Safari support at The Nash, once again with Josh Symons was definantly a highlight for me! At the moment, every set Im playing up here at Mt Hotham has been huge! Everybody is so down to party!

KT: What can people expect to hear form one of your sets?

Tricky Dick: Depending on where Im playing it can vary greatly. Currently, my sets are very party, featuring alot of house and electro, hip hop and stuff like "Meet you at the love parade", haha, even Dubstep is going mental!

But if I am playing more for myself, I absolutely LOVE Techno, Tech House, maybe a little Progressive House and straight out stomping house! In saying that though, I love music, Im not biased and will give anything a chance. I have been listening to alot of Funk in my spare time, its really nice.

KT: Who's your favourite DJ/Producer at the moment?

Tricky Dick: Easily Light Year from Bang Gang 12"s. I think that goes for alot of people too, they are fresh! Being up on the mountain I havnt been able to catch a Dj set for a while, but I have been listening to Light Year on Triple J's mix up, and loosing my shit!

KT: What's the first song that pops into your head when you think 'Getting Tropical'?

Tricky Dick: Those Dancing Days - Monkey Safari, you can't help but groove to it!

KT: What plans do you have for Tricky Dick in the future?

Tricky Dick: Continue playing up here at Hotham for the rest of the season, then, move back to Melbourne and try and find myself a place to play on a regular basis. That would be nice. Also focus more on production, I really want to start doing some recording and production with other people. I have a couple of mates in a band that have asked me to jam with them so that would will be fun to try!

KT: What's your favourite memory of a live gig you've seen?

Tricky Dick: There has been a few, but some of the ones that stood out were Public Enemy at Falls Festival, "FLAAAVVAAAA FLLAVVVVVVV", Crystal Castles in Melbourne and Ratatat in Melbourne aswell. They were all really amazing.

KT: To all the promoters out there; why should they book you?

Tricky Dick: I feel I can be diverse and adapt to most crowds, I really love playing late night House and Tech sets, I love the vibe of a full dance floor at 5am! I think thats where I wanna end up!

Booking details:

Name: Tricky Dick
Contact: Trickydickdj@gmail.com
Looking for gigs in: Melbourne.
Soundcloud: Tricky Dick

Track listing:

1. Milli Vanillie (Original Mix) - Green Velvet
2. Foxy (Original Mix) - Seb Leger
3. Caje (Daniel Steinberg Remix) - Nicone
4. Metrum (Manual De La Mare Remix) - Fedde Le Grand
5. You've Got The Love (Mark Knight Remix) - Florence & The Machine
6. Charlotte (Dubfire Remix) - Booka Shade
7. Otherside (Original Mix) - Frederico Scavo


Don't forget to head over to the Getting Tropical Facebook 
--> click 'Like' 
-->TAG yourself in the COMPETITION PHOTOS 
--> WIN DOUBLE PASSES to selected events!

Interview: Kid's Table

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast